It Is Suitable For
· Those in Malaysia interested to screen for cancer.
· Those with concerns regarding cancer.
· Those with the record of poor candidates for surgeries.
· Those who want to be cancer-fee.
· Those who want to try a different treatment to cure cancer.
What is PET/CT Scan?
PET, or Positron Emission Tomography is a type of nuclear medicine imaging. PET scan measures important body functions such as oxygen use, blood flow, glucose metabolism etc. This measurement equipped the doctors in evaluating the organs and tissues performance.
CT, or Computed Tomography is used to produce multiple images inside the body and provide excellent anatomic information.
Today, most of the PET scans are superimposed with CT using radiotracers to provide more accurate and comprehensive information on the abnormal activity and function of cells.
PET/CT Scan Procedure
1. Lie down position of the examination table
2. Insert IV Catheter if necessary
3. Radiotracer dose injected into the vein
4. Rest quietly while radiotracer travel through your body for about an hour
5. Drink contrast material to localize the intestines
6. Begin the imaging into PET/CT scan
Advantages and Limitations of PET/CT Scan
· Provides unique information about body functions and anatomic structure
· Gives accurate diagnoses
· Less expensive than exploratory surgery
· May detect early-onset or recurrence of disease
· Monitoring treatment response
· Fast Scanning Time
· Reduced Radiation Dose
· 4D Imaging and optimized image quality
· Time consuming
· Body structures image resolution may not be as high as CT or MRI
· Results for diabetic patients may be affected
· A person who is very obese may not fit in the scanner unit
Q1: What will happen after the scan?
A1: Once you are done getting the scan, you may leave the imaging facility. However, please make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day to flush FDG from your body.
Q2: Are there any potential side effects of PET/CT?
A2: There are usually no side effects to having the scan. But ensure you drink a lot of water and check with the doctor if you have any concerns.
Q3: How long will I have to wait for the results to come out?
A3: Usually, it will take about 24 - 48 hours until the results are out.
[Clinic Name] Sunway Medical Center
[Location] Selangor, Malaysia
[Nearest Station/ Nearest Tourist Destination] 5 mins from Sunway Wildlife Zoo and 9 mins from Sunway Lagoon
[Clinic Opening Time] Monday - Sunday (8:00AM - 6:00PM)